Fun facts about Italy
Here some fun facts about Italy, with interesting information and curiosities, all about Italy, italian people and products.
- 1) The continent America have derived its name from the italian explorer and cartographer Amerigo Vespucci (Florence 1454-1512). Amerigo....Ameriga....America.
- 2) Famous italian cars: Ferrari, Lamborghini, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Fiat, Lancia.
-3) Ferrari is the first car company
in the World with a dedicated Theme Park: Ferrari World
in Abu Dhabi.
-4) For its 152nd anniversary, italian Police got few Lamborghini Gallardos.
Don't try to outrun them!
- 5) Galileo Galilei, famous mathematician and astronomer was born in Pisa (1564-1642). He invented the first thermometer (atmospheric).
- 6) The jeans where invented in Genoa (sec.XVI): Genoa-Gênes-Jeans, the term blue-jeans is from the French "bleu de Gênes" (blue of Genoa).
- 7) In Genoa was also invented the Lottery by Benedetto Gentile in 1576.
- 8) Girolamo Cardano (Pavia 1501-1576), invented the Cardan shaft with universal joints (cardanic transmission).
- 9) In the year 1472 was founded the most ancient bank in the world: Monte dei Paschi di Siena.
- 10) Archimedes, one of the world's most famous mathematicians, was born in Syracuse, Sicily (287 BC – 212 BC).
- 11) Leonardo da Vinci (1452- 1519) famous Renaissance painter was also a sculptor, architect, engineer and scientist.
- 12) The story "Pinocchio" was written by Carlo Collodi
(real name, Carlo Lorenzini, Florence 1826-1890).
- 13) Italy is the world's largest Kiwifruit producer.
- 14) Famous italian explorers: Cristoforo Colombo (Christopher Columbus, Genoa 1451-1506), Amerigo Vespucci (Florence 1454-1512), Marco Polo (Venice 1254-1324), Giovanni Caboto (John Cabot, Gaeta 1450-1498).
- 15) The electric battery was invented by Alessandro Volta
(Como 1745-1827). The electrical term "Volts" is named after him.
- 16) The telephone was invented by Antonio Meucci (Florence 1808- Staten Island 1889), with a temporary patend (Caveat) in 1871.
Alexander Graham Bell patented it in 1876 , but finally (on June 11th 2002!) the U.S. Congress tributed the invention to Meucci.
- 17) The typewriter was invented by the italian Pellegrino Turri in 1808.
- 18) The famous Pizza was invented in Naples.
- 19) Italy is the world's largest Pasta producer (3,2 mil.tons).
- 20) The average Pasta consumption in Italy is 28 kg a year, per capita.
- 21) The barometer was invented in Italy by Evangelista Torricelli (Faenza 1608- Florence 1647).
- 22) Guglielmo Marconi (Bologna 1874- Rome 1937), Nobel Prize in 1909, invented the wireless Telegraph.
- 23) Michelangelo Buonarroti (Caprese Michelangelo 1475- Rome 1564), who painted the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican, was also a sculptor and architect.
- 24) Antonio Stradivari (Cremona 1644-1737) Italian luthier, crafter of stringed musical instruments, is most famous for his violins, now priceless.
- 25) Italy is the only Country in the world with two other Countries inside (Vatican and the Republic of San Marino).
- 26) Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet was set in the town of Verona.
Those are just some fun facts about Italy, they are also quite informative and they can give an idea about why Italy is so popular and full of culture.
-More fun facts about Italy to be added...
Return from Fun facts about Italy
to Lake Garda Italy Homepage